For how long to take PPI after finishing antibiotic

The most popular treatments consist of two antibiotics (one of which is usually clarithromycin) plus a strong acid blocker such as omeprazole (PriLosec, Nexium, Somac, Zoton, etc.). Treatment is for 7-10 days. Cure rate is about 85%

Moderators: Toni, barjammar, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

cookieMONSTER

For how long to take PPI after finishing antibiotic

Post by cookieMONSTER » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:46 am

Hi,

I am currently on the 3 day of the triple therapy (also taking 1 sachet VSL# along the treatment). I am supposed to take the antibiotics for 8 days and then go on taking the PPI "until finishing the box", that means 40 days longer (half dosage).
The problem is I feel my digestion was already really weak (hence the diagnosis/treatment) and now, after starting the treatment it got even worse... I can barely eat without feeling a pain on the lower left side and, mostly after lunch, really lethargic. All this even though I make small light meals.

My question is, do I really need to go on taking the PPI for so long after finishing the antibiotics? I think the difficult digestion could be related to the actual reduction of stomach acid.

What's the usual duration for PPI? I am not supposed to have ulcers, at least they were never diagnosed.

Thank you!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: For how long to take PPI after finishing antibiotic

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am

you only need to take PPI for that long if you are diagnosed with ulcer. otherwise, you can stop together with the antibiotics.

however, it is important to know that antibiotics work best in less acid condition. So the more PPI you take now (2x dose), the higher the cure rate.

cookieMONSTER

Post by cookieMONSTER » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you for answering.

Two more questions: is it possible the pains are caused by the antibiotic itself? I am taking both of them together with the PPI before meals. Is any of the antibiotics (Clarythromicin and Amoxicilin) known to cause pain? Should I take any of them after meals instead of in an empty stomach?

Also, if I go on taking the PPI after finishing the antibiotics would it help to recover any possible damage made by H. Pylori to the stomach wall?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 am

although the protocol says to take the antibiotics before meal. but we have not shown difference if taken after meal. So, it's up to you. Whichever suit you better.

unfortunately, the pain could be anything. It's not good to assume anything without a proper endoscopy examination or ultrasound scan. But, if the pain is tolerable, just try ignore it and finish the course.

Return to “Antibiotics and Acid Pump Blockers”