Will Pepto Bismol cause a false negative on a stool test?

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

jimd13

Will Pepto Bismol cause a false negative on a stool test?

Post by jimd13 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:19 am

Hi Guys,

I've been struggling with some symptoms for a few months now and just recently my doctor suggested I be tested for h. pylori. She ordered a stool sample that I have been waiting for the right time to submit. I do occasionally take pepto bismol at night to help with my upset stomach. I read a few things saying that you shouldn't take bismuth a month before a stool sample for h. pylori. I am really struggling at the moment and just want to get the sample in as soon as possible.

So my question is, if I took a little bit of bismuth a couple days ago, if I submit a stool sample next week is it likely that I will get a false negative test result? I really suspect that I have h. pylori and I'm worried about getting a false negative even though I might actually have it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Will Pepto Bismol cause a false negative on a stool test?

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:06 am

Unfortunately bismuth might reduce the bacterial load give false negative result to stool test.

jimd13

Re: Will Pepto Bismol cause a false negative on a stool test?

Post by jimd13 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 am

Thanks for the quick reply Helic_expert. I'll try not to take any for a bit before I submit my test.

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”