Post-Treatment for H. Pylori

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Northp

Post-Treatment for H. Pylori

Post by Northp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am

I finished the 7 day, 2 ABX and 1 PPI treatment for H. Pylori in February. Since then I've been dealing with acid reflux, gnawing pain in my stomach and lots of gas. I've had an ultrasound done, everything looked fine no gallbladder blockage. I did a stool and urea breath test, both came out negative.

My doctor prescribed PPI to deal with the acid reflux but they made me so exhausted. When I stopped taking them, I had terrible acid rebound. On a friends recommendation I went to see a naturopath and he put me on L-Glutamine, plant digestive enzymes and some probiotics to heal my stomach. I'm on the 5th day of this treatment, Im not sure if I'm feeling much of a difference.

It's been 8 weeks since I've completed the ABX treatment and just want to know how long the healing process will take, when will I feel normal again, I would like to avoid PPIs. Any advice?

tzj

Re: Post-Treatment for H. Pylori

Post by tzj » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:56 am

Were you still on the PPIs when you retook stool test? According to literature most people (95%+) should see a complete recovering after 2 months if HP was eradicated.

Northp

Post by Northp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am

No I was off PPIs for 2 weeks when I did the stool and urea breath test.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am

Yes, it is important to avoid PPI and antibiotics for at least 2 weeks before the breath and stool test.

The recovery is subjective. it depends on the damage done by H. pylori. Some people take weeks or months or years to recover.

Northp

Post by Northp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am
Yes, it is important to avoid PPI and antibiotics for at least 2 weeks before the breath and stool test.

The recovery is subjective. it depends on the damage done by H. pylori. Some people take weeks or months or years to recover.
Do you think taking PPIs will heal my stomach (gastritis) quicker?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am

It depends what causes the discomfort.

In case of H. pylori, it is because H. pylori damages the cells producing the mucous. Hence your mucous layer gets thinner and thinner until the acid starts digesting your own stomach. imagine pouring acid on your skin. When that happen, you feel the pain.

PPI reduce the secretion of acid. So there is no more acid burning your stomach wall. So your stomach wall has time to heal. But without eradicating H. pylori, the cells producing mucous cannot recover. That's why you will have to rely on PPI forever and will never truly recover.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”