Helicobacter and MS connection?

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Dragan

Helicobacter and MS connection?

Post by Dragan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 am

I am writing to ask you for a help about helicobacter
pylori infection that my sister has and which doctors from Slovenia (where she lives) did
not manage to solve.

My sister was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2015 but from 2014 she has a
problems with flatulence and meteorism. Since my sister is a doctor (pulmologist) in
January 2016, gastroenterologist suggested her to do gastroscopy, which revealed that
the mucous membrane of the stomach was bright red in color and she has been diagnosed with acute gastritis.

After this finding, she took the prescribed antibiotics. Urea breath test has been done
in March 2016, result was 1.17 and we thought that helicobacter pylori was successfully
eradicated.

She still experienced the same problems with stomach so in August 2016, she did another
gastroscopy and the results where negative.

In July 2017 after blood test IgG was 289 U/ml, we did not pay to much attention until
another test in March 2018 when IgG was 886.5 U/ml and IgA 120.6 U/ml.

In April 2018 she did urea breath test and the result was 26.6. A month later the HUT test
was positive and then doctors prescribed Pylera and Nillar.

Still after all these years my sister has the very same problem. Any ideas what we can do to help her get rid of helicobacter?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Helicobacter and MS connection?

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 pm

PYLERA is quite a strong antibiotic combination. so what happen after PYLERA treatment? did she do another breath test?

Dragan

Post by Dragan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 am

Hi Helico_expert,

Thank you for your reply!

My sister needs to do a new breath test in next weeks so we will see, but she still have the same problems with stomach. I have read that reinfection is very rare and happens in 2% of cases so I am wondering if first treatment was effective (note that breath test was negative).

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 am

reinfection is indeed rare, in a given condition that everyone living under the same roof has good hygiene. eg. brushing teeth, washing hands and no sharing food.

we have seen too many cases where 20 yrs married couples, only one of them is infected.

Dragan

Post by Dragan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 am

Hi,

We received breath test (C13) results today and it’s positive 1.54 if I understand correctly everything above 1.5 is considered positive. Any thoughts?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 am

so it looks like a borderline positive. perhaps you want to wait another month and repeat the breath test again.

Dragan

Post by Dragan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:41 am

I will tell her to do another test in a month but what we should expect? To stay the same or going well below 1.5? She also planned to do gastroscopy in next few days. Do you think it’s a wise thing to do?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 pm

I am sure the Doctor has his reason to do the endoscopy. Do ask the doctor to get a CLOtest (or rapid urease test) from the biopsy. That will tell if she has HP within 10 minutes.

Also, get a histology examination. that will also give hints if there is H. pylori present.

Dragan

Post by Dragan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:00 am

Stool antigen test is negative but I am not sure if that’s reliable.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:20 pm

each of those test has accuracy up to 90%. So I think the chance of having two false negative is rare.

Now you just need to focus on the recovery.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”